A good night’s sleep can help you create the life of your dreams. But it only takes one peek at the world around us to notice the stress, anxiety and tension, primarily due to the COVID-19 crisis that has engulfed our planet. This pandemic has disrupted the everyday lives of people across the globe. The rate at which it continues to affect countries makes it essential to learn how to cope and live with it. At least, until there is an effective vaccine developed.
Given the stressful and disruptive reality due to which people have a reduced sense of control over most aspects of the future, healthy sleeping habits can make a world of difference. A good night’s sleep has been shown to reinforce mental health, instil a positive outlook on life and even foster holistic wellbeing in numerous studies. However, many people continue to suffer from anxiety daily. You do not have to be one of them. Start today by taking small steps in the right direction.
- Sleep hygiene: Begin by using your bedroom only to sleep. Working from home can cause you to work in your bedroom. However, this is not healthy in the long run. Ensure that there are curtains to block out excess light as darkness helps you fall asleep quicker. Avoid looking at screens before sleeping as the blue light delays the release of melatonin which can disrupt your natural sleep cycle. Also, try to sleep and wake up at the same time every day. Dedicated sleep timings will make you prioritise sleep in your everyday schedule.
- Lifestyle hacks: If you are productive due to regular doses of coffee, it might be time to cut back. Caffeine is known to inhibit sleep, and so are nicotine, and alcohol. Giving them up is best, but you can start by not consuming these just before going to sleep. Try reading or practising some mindfulness exercises instead, as these can calm the mind and help you sleep better.
- Take time to cool off: Pick up certain bed-time routines that allow the mind and body to slow down. A refreshing shower before sleeping is known to reduce the body temperature, which makes it easier to dose off. Even playing slow, soft music, and reading a book can help you sleep better by easing you down mentally and physically.
- Exercise: Sweating your stress out at the gym can help you reset your sleeping patterns and in turn, can further reduce anxiety. Working out and even simple physical activities like brisk walking help release endorphins that can improve the overall mood. However, be mindful not to exercise just before going to sleep as this can interrupt with your circadian rhythm. Experts suggest exercising in the morning or even in the afternoon so that you can experience peaceful sleep at night.
- Pick the right mattress: One can try and implement quite a few sleeping hacks and still end up sleeping on an unsuitable mattress. While we humans spend a third of our lives sleeping, some of us never choose the right mattress. Trying to find the right mattress depends on your preferences, dominant sleeping position and even on your body type. While there are quite a few ways to buy a mattress quickly these days, we believe you should take some time to understand your needs and find a suitable mattress for lasting comfort.
At Peps, we want to help India experience great sleep so that every Indian wakes up rejuvenated and energised to make their dreams a reality. If you’re looking to wake up feeling on top of the world every morning, get in touch with our sleep experts today. Give a missed call to 080 4557 0700.